I hope this is the next to last blog I put down - its getting close to "D-day" - Rand coming home, less than a month away. I'm not sure if Rand is more excited to see his dog or us, but which ever, we'll just be glad to have him home!!
Rand has been attending Corporal's School the last few weeks, getting ready to become a Sergeant. It's a tough leadership course that lasts 13 days - basically this is boot camp for NCOs. He goes from 6 am to 6 pm and it's run by 4 ex-drill instructors. There are 25 Corporals in the course and 5 from the Delta Company. Rand is their Platoon Leader since he's passed all the tests for Sergeant and is just waiting to be picked up on the next round. The guys learn things like time management, how to speak publicly, how to do paperwork and of course the infamous physical training. PT consists of pull-ups, push-us (not a problem!) and running 6-7 miles every day (big problem for the guys in Delta Co since they've been out in the field and if they tried running, they would be shot!), so they have been really struggling. To pass the course, you have to get at least an 80% on the tests and Rand has been getting in the 90%s - I always knew he had it in him! His last test was a presentation public speaking, so he did his "How to Make An MRE". On our last call from him, he told us he got a 95%.
Rand is great spirits and can't wait to come home. He has an apartment all lined up and even had me send him an IKEA catalog so he could pick out his furniture. I hope the next entry is to let everyone know he is safely home and settled!
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow, that sounds great and I am glad to hear that he is coming home. He is so big (older), from how I remember him.
I'm so glad he's doing good! And I'm quite jealous about the running, I just wish I could handle running for miles! And I think, when he's finally home, we need to get our families together again, just like the old times. Remember those big Richardson/McIff birthday parties? Awesome. :-)
Post a Comment